[kictanet] Fwd: Local Content Issues and beyond......

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Thu Nov 20 17:03:58 EAT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wainaina Mungai <wainaina at madeinkenya.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:53 +0300
Subject: Re: [kictanet] Local Content Issues and beyond......
To: Catherine Adeya <elizaslider at yahoo.com>

Thanks Nyaki,

Going down memory lane, we had the non-commercial Open Knowledge
Network (OKN) in which local content was developed under the banner of
"local people, local languages, local content".

We enabled people in various communities to place "their own" content
onto the web. From Siaya to Kwale and Kibera to Isinya, locals loaded
content to a central hub using both online & offline means.

Access
We also had to address the access question by using offline means of
getting content (e.g. collect data on diskette in a remote village in
Kwale and take it to Mombasa to upload it) onto web and giving access
to communities through free Worldspace receivers.

That may be another example in defining local content.

CONTENT
However, the OpenKnowledge.net approach may not be an ideal definition
of local content....but it provides local languages to local knowledge
to locals....in a village that may not have had it's issues online.

To many players, some questions arise:

- Is that the local content that one can build a sustainability model around?

- Is the non-profit intervention like OKN feasible?

- Is a "local language" (Digo, Kuria, Rendille) pursuit the way to go
or is the development of local knowledge language-independent?

Good day,
Wainaina

--
Sent from my mobile device