[kictanet] ITU and ICANN – a loveless forced marriage: ITU & ICANN in Cairo

Gakuru Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:58:09 EAT 2008

But I do not agree on proposed "government-heaviness": -

cite:
Last, but not least, I should just tell you that another important
issue that the ITU is working on today is the trace-back issue, which
is also controversial. And we hope to discuss it with anyone who has a
problem with trace-back issues. We will never counter terrorism if we
don't have a harmonized way of tracing back the IP address. This does
not take away individual privacy or private information, but you have
to track criminals and terrorists down. And I don't know one country
in the world where they have Internet where they are not doing that,
to be frank here. But we have to do it in a harmonized and coordinated
way.
Unfortunately, the criminals are very well organized. And they are
working now, as we are talking. We need to tackle them.
-end cite

My comments:

One of the most common responses of those unconcerned about government
surveillance or privacy invasions is 'I've got nothing to hide.'
According to the 'nothing to hide' argument, there is no threat to
privacy unless the government uncovers unlawful activity, in which
case a person has no legitimate justification to claim that it remain
private.

The 'nothing to hide' argument is quite prevalent. Responding to this
argument in a way that registers with people in the general public is
'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy.
Professor Daniel Solove takes on the 'nothing to hide'
<http://ssrn.com/abstract=998565> argument and exposes its faulty
underpinnings." At the base of the fallacy, as Bruce Schneier has
notes, is the "faulty premise that privacy is about hiding a wrong.

The nothing to hide argument is one of the primary arguments made when
balancing privacy against security. In its most compelling form, it is
an argument that the privacy interest is generally minimal to trivial,
thus making the balance against security concerns a foreordained
victory for security.

Sometimes the nothing to hide argument is posed as a question: "If you
have nothing to hide, then what do you have to fear?" Others ask: "If
you aren't doing anything wrong, then what do you have to hide?"

Thomas Jefferson once said, "The spirit of resistance to government is
so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept
alive" and "You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that
you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who
says it," added Malcolm X.

ends