[kictanet] KCCT, BPO training, Board Member? Conflict of interest inevitable

eadera at idrc.or.ke eadera at idrc.or.ke
Thu May 8 00:20:00 EAT 2008

Betty,

I agree experience and expertise gets one appointed to boards. I
think the issue comes in when one starts doing business with the same
institution in which they are board members. That I believe is a
clear NO, whether or not interests are declared in advance. I think
as a country we should have these bear minimum non-negotiables if we
really want to "walk our talk" of transparency and accountability.

I agree guidelines need to be in place, in the absence of these
guidelines, integrity should prevail.

I know of funding organizations in which if a staff member serves as
board members of an institution, the said institution or affiliate
institutions of other board members cannot apply for project funding
from that organization. Should they do so, then the staff member from
that funding organization would have to resign from the Board.

I think these are the kind of principles we want to adopt and not
negotiate about them.

Edith