[kictanet] Safaricom IPO & Telecom France

David Makali dmakali at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:41:30 EAT 2008

Nick, Odindo, Jaindi, Mutuma:

Guys, this is staggering. The press must save Kenya
from this disgraceful pass. Over to you.
David

> Wananchi,
>

> I do not see how the Safaricom IPO can be stopped
> now without the GoK
> incurring hefty penalties. So many institutions
> engaged have spend huge sums
>
> of money they just can't fold their papers and
> accept to walk away 'hand
> nothing'.
>
> The reality is that *Continuous Disclosure* of info
> by companies trading at
> the NSE
> isn't enforced at all. In fact, a govt that thrives
> on opaqueness cannot be
> expected
> to legislate against opaqueness much less enforce
> such legislation if it
> existed.
>
> When the UK Serious Fraud Office started
> investigating Vodafone UK, that
> company's
> subsidiary (Vodafone Kenya) is said to have quickly
> swallowed Mobitelea's 5%
> shareholding in Safaricom reverting back to owning
> 40%of Safaricom while
> giving
> Mobitelea 12.7% of Vodafone (K) itself. And, info
> from the grapevine has it
> that
> Mobitelea and Vodafone (K) are presently arguing
> over shareholding. So
> Vodafone
> is lying in the bed it made. Who knows! Mobitelea
> might have been
> deregistered
> already and another company assigned Mobitelea's
> interest  in Vodafone
> Kenya.
>
> There was fraud and govt covered up. Now they must
> keep covering up for as
> long
> as they can. But this is not all. There is a bigger
> problem that people are
> forgetting.
> Namely, that a big junk of proceeds from the
> Safaricom IPO will go to
> Telecom
> France (and the shadowy figures who facilitated
> their recent susipicious
> takeover of
> Telecom Kenya).
>
> *Telecom France got 51% of Telecom Kenya at
> Sh23billion*! The takeover was
> suspicious indeed.  The GoK thro' Telecom Kenya owns
> 60% of Safaricom (i.e.
> 60% of Sh200billion) which equals to Sh120billion.
> The French now own 51% of
>
> Telecom Kenya which means they also own 51% of
> Telecom's holding in
> Safaricom
> (i.e. 51% of 120billion = *Sh61billion*) and this is
> in addition to 51% of
> other Telecom
> Kenya assets. What is depressing is the fact that
> the French who paid
> Sh23billion for
> 51% of Telecom Kenya will walk away with 51% of  the
> proceeds of the IPO (
> i.e.
> 51% of Sh50billion =Sh25.3billion).  They will still
> own 51% of what remains
> of Telecom
> [...]

_______________

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live,
I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."
-- Isaac Asimo, Columbian Author and Scientist

PO Box 3234
00200 Nairobi, Kenya
cell: +254 722 517 540

Looking for last minute shopping deals?