[kictanet] Making the Knowledge Economy Work for Kenya

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 14:26:23 EAT 2008

 [Apologies for cross posting to consumers, skunkworks kictanet

[Apologies for cross posting to consumers, skunkworks kictanet mailing
lists. Please circulate to this message to as  many who may be interested]

Way Forward Technologies and partners are organising a one-day workshop
"Making the knowledge economy work for Kenya" scheduled for mid-May 2008 (
Date TBC) at a Nairobi hotel. We shall showcase business implementations of
Free and Open Source Software (or FOSS) and provide a discussion platform on
issues regarding migration to the platform.

We shall have local speakers discuss not only their cost-savings but
additional benefits realised from strategic decisions to adopt Open
solutions in their organisations operations. There shall be free operating
system software given out in addition to selected applications software for
cross section of sectors' needs (for example  free corporate ERPs, Content
Management Systems (CMS), e-learning, and graphics design software to name
but just a few)

Although primarily targeting the Private Sector, SME and Civil Society
Organizations, Public Sector is welcome considering that cost-saving fits
their public service agenda as set out in the National ICT Policy.

We are aware that whereas Free and Open Source Software (or FOSS) has
enabled many organizations, corporates, small business, and individuals save
tens of millions of  shillings, newcomers to the platform are spoilt for
choice over which of the hundreds of thousands of free applications to
install; overwhelmed by the abundance and variety of software courtesy of
the free software community of developers.

Kenya has skunkworks - a technical community network comprising over 500
highly skilled professionals, a growing consumers network approaching 300
members and a business heavy (but inclusive) kictanet communities. Each has
much to benefit from participating at this unique workshop and we welcome
other interested communities to also join in. We look forward to speakers
abstracts on the subject of successful use FOSS for business.

During Idlelo 3 meeting held at Dakar, Senegal last week, I gave a
presentation on "connecting and sustaining linkages between business and
technical communities." Above planned workshop aims at translating the
belief into action and it requires your support to reinforce our positioning
in the knowledge economy ecosystem even better.

Considering that it is not a funded workshop, entrance shall be upon payment
of attendance fees of Kshs 5,000/= per person to offset venue and hosting
expenses. Corporate sponsorships (for logos to appear on our publicity
material such as banners) is set at Kshs 20,000/=. FOSS services providers
interested in exhibiting their business solutions pay kshs 20,000/= per
exhibition stand.

For additional information contact;

Alex Gakuru
Email: *gakuru at gmail.com*
Tel: 020-2013393

PS: Comments most welcome (on or off-list) and please circulate this message
as widely.