[kictanet] OOXML: Why Kenya Should Vote NO

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 16:32:11 EAT 2008

Thanks Eunice,

Coming from the ICT Board, i believe it would be nice to share your comments
with the list.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Eunice Mueni Kariuki <
eunicekariuki at ict.go.ke> wrote:

> This is excellent interms of educating the public on matters of ICT
> especially those that affect thier daily ICT lives directly or indirectly.

I am sure many will agree with you and is indeed inline with the mandate of
the ICT Board.

> However, in the last topic (Why Kenya should say No)
> - point no. 3 - I am not convinced that microsoft has what it takes to do
> what you say they did. I am also not convinced that those responsible for
> forming that committee would fall for this implied trick. Indeed it would be
> sad and they should not be in office.

I will refer you to the committee to investigate its composition. KEBS
should give you a list of the membership. It was an issue then and it is
till now.

> On point no. 4, it would have been helpful if you provided details of
> actual propriatory rights.

There is lots of information on this;  A quick reference is
http://www.noooxml.org/patents.

Otherwise I am confused because your email implies that Microsoft also
> compromised the ISO body to approve OOXML as a parallel standard!

I just stated things as they are. Its many times that Microsoft has been
found to go about things in a skewed manner. A case in point is for example
the signing of MOUs with government ministries in pursuit of their business
interests. This already happened in Kenya with th Ministry of Education and
i hope the ICT board will objectively look at this matter.

Muthoni

If this were the case then that body does not deserve that office

--
Muthoni

My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/
Mahatma Gandhi once said:-