[kictanet] Malaysia to migrate to the OpenOffice.org open source productivity suite

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:35:58 EAT 2008

I fully agree with Muthoni, we have focussed a lot on hardware and
Infrastructure whereas neglecting the software bit, there has been a lot of
talk on Local content, unless we have proper strategies in place to govern
Software issues then the issues of Local content might as well be a pipe
dream, we need to encourage developement of local solutions and this might
only when we embrace open standards, i beg to be corrected if i am wrong

On 3/19/08, Dorcas Muthoni <dmuthoni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many countries are now saving lots of money and improving balance of trade
> by adopting Open Source software.. Brazil, Malaysia, South Africa. With the
> infrastructure/connectivity getting more under control and hardware prices
> going down tremendously, software will be the next frontier.
>
> What is the ICT Board strategy around software issues? I believe this
> would be a good time for us to begin working out clear strategies around
> software sub sector.
>
> I am curious to know how for example the ICT board will guide a ministry
> such as the Ministry of Education which apparently has an MOU with
> Microsoft, the Digital Villages project, Software Development Industry with
> relation to the outsourcing business opportunities..
>
> Muthoni
>

> FYI,

> http://www.oscc.org.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=128
>

> Putrajaya, 19th March 2008 - The Malaysian Administrative Modernisation
> and Management Planning Unit (MAMPU), today officially adopts a policy
> to migrate to the OpenOffice.org open source productivity suite. This is
> in line with the Malaysian Public Sector Open Source Master Plan, which
> calls for government agencies to reduce costs, increase freedom of
> choice and interoperability.
>
> From April 1st, MAMPU will start adopting the OpenDocument Format (ODF),
> standard for all new documents created. ODF the ISO open standard for
> electronic documents is also the default format for OpenOffice.org. The
> agency will also uninstall all copies of Microsoft Office by end of 2008.
>
> To ensure a smooth migration, presently over 80 agency staff have been
> trained by the Open Source Competency Centre (OSCC). Additional staff
> will then be trained internally by the IT department, which will also
> provide support for OpenOffice.org.
>
> Related Documents:
>
>       * Polisi Penggunaan OpenOffice.org MAMPU (in Malay)
>       * Mengapa Bertukar Kepada OpenOffice.org (in Malay)
>
> --
> Muthoni
>
> My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/

Barrack O. Otieno