[kictanet] Expensive software systems?

tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke
Thu Jun 26 09:33:12 EAT 2008

I think pkariuki has a point. The fact that even here in a University of
Technology, students are encouraged to come up with creative solutions to
problems affecting our current markets. However, the discouraging bit is
that we tend to see recurring projects and very marginalized creativity.
Certain societies and technology clubs do try to get innovative by going
out there and identifying where they can offer solutions.

Another weakness I find in our institutes of higher learning is the fact
that research in IT is seriously lacking. If you are keen to observe,
research is usually based on agriculture thus shutting out IT which we all
know will propel this nation to achieving the vision 2030. My humble
opinion is to venture into research and to ask stake-holders to come and
tap into the brains here in campus. Having research carried out in
campuses in as far as technology is concerned will even ensure the use of
under-utilized resources and am referring to computers during after hours,
idle bandwidth which will ultimately be paid for as if it were used, etc
etc.

Some bit of encouragement from the private sector that is coming up is the
holding of competitions and exhibitions like the IEEE competitions which
actually bring out the hidden potential in the students. This however, is
also abit tricky because we have had cases of such stakeholders taking
advantage of this thus benefiting themselves and short changing the
students.

I firmly believe in as far as developing add-on software to work with
enterprise softwares like SAP or Oracle, this can be done locally and if
the fear expressed here is the confidence in not having these developers
going under with out a trace, then why not do it in university level where
you have the full backing of its administration.

Tyrus Muya Kamau.
Systems Administrator, eLearning
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agri & Techology
Kenya,
Cell Phone: +254-721292936.
Mail:tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke

[DISCLAIMER]
This message may contain confidential information and must not be
copied,
disclosed or used by anybody other than the intended recipient. If you
have
received this message in error, please notify us by e-mail
(noreply at jkuat.ac.ke) and then delete the e-mail and any copies of it.
E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and
unauthorised
amendment, and no liability is accepted for any such corruption,
interception or amendment, or the consequences thereof. No liability
or responsibility is accepted for viruses - it is your responsibility
to scan