[kictanet] Kenya embarks on exercise to protect Intellectual Property - will this help our jeune entrepreneurs?

wesley kiriinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 12:47:24 EAT 2008

Firstly, sorry for the multiple posts.

Aaahhh you have highlighted something I wanted to clarify. I believe patents are different from copy rights and intellectual property. I know about what you've said.

>From the lawyer I spoke to (and another one I heard in a T.V interview), copy rights become automatic once the person develops the product. All you have to do is put the (c) symbol on your product.

I believe:
Patents are an entire beast. Basically a patent will be requested for a particular technology and not for a product and that's why a product can be created from one or more patented technologies. When requesting for a patent a world wide investigation has to be done to make sure you are the original creator and that you didn't steal ideas from someone else, therefore patents take months or years.

I think more light needs to be shed. Any KIPI people on the list?