[kictanet] Expensive software systems?

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:28:24 EAT 2008

Two issues:

I would say that Dr. Ndemo repeats an entrepreneurship class targeting local
software developers like at the Barcamp.

This is not a thumps up for the guy that billed for this system but costing
models are developed by the businesses selling.

What do you make of Microsoft who are due from Kenya:  (decent price of Ms
Office and Windows) * (Estimated Number of Computers in the country)

$500 * 500,000 = $ 250,000,000

KES. 15,500,000,000

A whooping KES. 15.5 billion for commodity software. I guess you can tell
why Gates is tops. By the way Open Source can squarely substitute this. Even
with a blended software market, we can afford to save the country in foreign
exchange about KES. 7 billion. These savings would most likely go into
developing the local software industry in that businesses and government can
use the savings in getting custom software that responds effectively to our
business processes. Open Source software available can also be customized by
local software companies for fit unique/peculiar business processes in
Kenyan private and public sectors.

This is a perspective i would like to add to this software debate.

Muthoni

Muthoni

My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/
Mahatma Gandhi once said:-