[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Expensive software systems?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:14:32 EAT 2008

> What makes them cost so much is the assurance that they are tested, have
> reference sites and simply they will work. That 10 years down the line KPA
> can still get support/enhancements from the Company.
>
> Dealing with individual developers is tricky. They can switch jobs/go to
> US/become sacred cows ... :-) A big company/organization feels safe dealing
> with an equally big organization that can't fold/disappear/change strategy
> overnight.

I tend to agree. Most Kenyan software outfits are briefcase companies. I'm
sure many on the list have been called to migrate or resuscitate a system
where the developer 'quit' working for his company, leaving it in limbo or
got a better offer. Basic documentation is a foreign concept. EABL paid 1
Billion for SAP, however, I don't see SAP going down any time soon... Same
applies, support is the most important thing, as it ensures business
continuity.