[kictanet] Marketing Kenya as a BPO Destination (within and without the country)

Marilyn Kamuru mkamuru at emanageafrica.com
Mon Jun 23 11:00:43 EAT 2008

Could we please stop equating the BPO sector with Call Centers.  Every time
a discussion on the BPO sector starts it is inevitably reduced to a
discussion on call centers.

This is one of the biggest problems domestic outsourcing companies face
since the BPO discussion seems to be only about call centers (for those of
you at the CEO Breakfast earlier this year you will recall it was one of the
main issues CEOs identified .  They said the message they received was
essentially BPO=Call Centers).  There are numerous BPOs in the country that
offer back office processing services from imaging and data storage to mail
sorting and delivery (perhaps the stock brokers would have been advised to
use them to prevent the Safaricom refund fiasco), and when we fail to
highlight the diversity of the industry we lose valuable opportunities for
marketing and visibility for these companies and the industry as a whole.

Business Process Outsourcing is much larger that call centers and if we on
this list cannot seem to make that distinction that is a major problem.

May I also suggest that the ICT Board has more work to do on promoting
domestic as well as international BPO work.  Without a viable domestic
market, we will not be able to nuture and grow local companies.  Before the
international business comes it would be helpful if local companies had
local business to help sustain them, provide refernces as well as cushion
them against the longer sales cycle for international contracts.  Government
can help by leading the way as it looks at implementing the eGovernment
initiative as well  as in providing incentives for local business to
outsource.

Marilyn

Many thanks and best regards,

Marilyn M. Kamuru