[kictanet] marketing Kenya as a BPO destination

eunicekariuki at ict.go.ke eunicekariuki at ict.go.ke
Sat Jun 21 10:37:18 EAT 2008

Dear Margaret,
Your passion and enthusiasm about the BPO industry is very interesting, your language and right of opinion notwithstanding.

However, one may find it heard to relate to the accusations of non performance due to what you call  'The boards sheer incompetence and failure to deliver', since you failed to articulate the basis of your evaluation.

To help you appreciate what the board is doing to market BPO industry and how you can contribute positively.

1) Refer to board CEO's earlier response to the BPO issues raised in this forum.

2) The Boards strategic plan' public debate is underway and you may want to be involved in order to better review the boards marketing activities and evaluate its performance todate more objectively.

3) As Paul stated in his email, the Boards marketing plan is being finalised and will equally be subjected to public debate and thus give you a chance to give your input.

4) If you had attended some of our marketing activities both locally and internationally, and the subsequent reviews with the industry, then you would have been able to hear and experience first hand the real issues in the BPO industry, kind of marketing activities we have been implementing and feedback. Your email suggests a clear disconnect.

5) It is important that we are clear that subsidy will not save the BPOs that are closing shop. Far from it,  it is the operators  capacity for quality,  scale, business planning, management and experise in your niche that will guarantee survival. Thus the BPO subsidy  is not a supplement for business management or indeed business.

4) Naturally, the board needs to do more; but we do operate under such constraints as budgets - which you may want to appraise yourself of.

5) This discussions are very important and we at the board encourage them a lot. However something is to be said of choice of words and tone in engendering discussion.

The Kenya ICT Board is at the KICC, participating fully to the development of standards and ethics for the industry (a much more important aspect of the BPO business) and I hope to engage more here  with you and others who feel as you do.

These are the sort of activities that will grow and build the BPO industry credibility and attract jobs - in order to make the marketing activities that you refer to in your email worthwhile.

You are also welcome to our offices to discuss your concerns and get responses in detail in person, any time.

Regards,

Eunice
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Celtel Kenya