[kictanet] FW: [www.eThinkTankTz.org] ICT BACKBONE: A solution in search of a problem or is it just a white elephant?

aki aki275 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 18 09:09:22 EAT 2008

Quite an interesting article. I'd like to add a comment: ( corrections are
welcome )

I'd written in an earlier post : Wireless technologies, except 3G, to become
obsolete when we get our Int'l FON. I believe wireless technologies could be
the future bottlenecks and may create problems if not addressed early
enough. If there are delays in planning ahead for the uptake and
distribution of FON international capacity, we may end up with terabits of
capacity sitting idle and never reaching the end user.

I think our case will more likely be that there will be ample demand but the
lack of correct platforms to deliver to end users.Fiber and copper are
definately the way forward. The triple play services already seem like a
non-starter on wireless. Hopefully the operators will be planning ahead to
cater for such.

With Rgds,

Aki.