[kictanet] Voiceless 'Knowledge Workers'

Shem Ochuodho shemochuodho at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 17:58:19 EAT 2008

Hi Monica,

Your contribution and opportunity to work for RURA are clear testimonies to at least two hypotheses I have advanced before-

i)                    that Kenya is uniquely full of talent – both at home and abroad – that requires a human capacity development and utilization plan/strategy to ‘nurture, harness and utilize’ for its competitive edge;
ii)                   that for Rwanda, you do not need to know or please anyone to reach where you are (unless your case was different!). As I recall some of the words of Prof. Ojwang’ (now Justice Ojwang’), ‘mediocrity, political expediency, and ethnic bigotry’ are among the main ills bedevilling Kenya. In Rwanda, to an unusually large extent, merit reigns – and I call that ‘good governance’. I have had the privilege to tell many a Kenyan entrepreneur that in Rwanda, to participate successfully in a tender, you do not have to ‘know someone’. I am not sure to what extent the same can be said about Kenya.

You also raise two important points:

i)                    when the initial Karisimbi/Intelsat negotiations started (end of 2006), the figure initially floated was US$ 1,600 per Meg, and discussions were on-going to get them down further to US$ 1,300 within about 6 months time – by which time I was moving back to Kenya, so I cannot be authoritative about what figure ultimately prevailed. Whatever the case, even at US$ 2,300, that is still an extremely good deal. I do not know of any other ‘low-volume’ consumer like Rwanda benefiting from such a rate.
ii)                   content is important, yes, and that’s why I cited the example of Rwanda’s home-grown ‘SmartGov’ (the engine for IFMIS). As a Grand Jury Member of the World Summit Awards (WSIS/WSA), I could not agree more. E-Content not only includes ‘content’, but also e-applications. There is little point to have ‘super-highways without vehicles to drive on them’. And this is why a ‘Master plan’ is vital, because it assists to ensure that ‘all bases are covered’.

And yes, Kenya has done a few innovative/useful things in the e-content arena (e.g. Mpesa, KACE/e-agriculture, active chat lists, vernacular radio stations, etc), but so has Rwanda. For the latter, apart from SmartGov, other outstanding examples include: cash-power (whereby electricity bills are settled with pre-paid ‘cards’), settlement of electricity bills via sms-top-ups, on-line Visa application (hope that’s how you dealt your visa – if you needed one), Rwanda Development Gateway’s rich info resource, TRACNet – for national management of HIV/AIDS drug system, etc. And yes, it is one thing to have technology, and another to use it. Between 2003-05, I recall Rwanda undertook two studies to look at not only ‘access’ to technology, but also ‘their use’. Last year, a further study was initiated under the SCAN-ICT program to go even beyond ‘access and usage’ to ‘assessing the impact’, because ‘usage’ alone too is not enough.

In a nutshell, we can fault Rwanda on some things, but I find it hard to fault them on ICT.

Best rgrds,
Shem