[kictanet] Fw: Re: [NewVisionKenya] Voiceless 'Knowledge Workers'

Marilyn M. Kamuru mkamuru at emanageafrica.com
Fri Jun 13 13:08:44 EAT 2008

I would like to echo Marwanga's comments especially as regards government
as a consumer of entrepreneurial services/products.  I am particularly
interested in government as a client of local entrepreneurs especially
domestic BPO companies.  Dr. Ndemo we really need a champion for
entrepreneurs especially in the domestic BPO sector.

There is urgent need for more action on the government front.  As
entrepreneurs we are not looking for hand outs, we need both an enabling
environment as well as availability of local government work.  Many of us
in the domestic BPO sector have been trying to get ministries and govt.
departments to outsource work e.g: back office processing, digitization,
archiving or data storage (Sheria House couldn't use help?) and at every
turn they create impediments to outsourcing these functions from
confidentiality, to legal impediments (real and perceived).  Many of these
services are either not adequately performed in-house or not even
performed at all.

There have been few if any true local outsourcing opportunities available
with the government. Sometimes, such as with the recent immigration
registration tender the scope of work is so large that it becomes in
essence an international opportunity, when in reality much of the ongoing
work e.g. digitization or data conversion would be better suited to local
companies.

It would be helpful to know if, within the Goverment, there is an internal
policy or preference for ongoing outsourcing BPO opportunities? And in
addition providing guidance on what laws/regulations allow and prohibit
govt. ministries/department to outsource.  If not, perhaps this is
something that Ministries would find helpful (not sure which office it
would emanate from) since then Ministries would have some additional
comfort that their decision to outsource BPO functions is not contrary to
law and is consistent with the government's overall strategy in areas such
as eGovernment as well as support of entrepreneurship.

We really need the government to lead the way by opening itself up to the
benefits of outsourcing utilizing local companies thereby sustaining
entrepreneurship.

Thanks,
Marilyn