[kictanet] Muzzling Expression, Maiming and Killing

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Jul 31 17:59:20 EAT 2008

Pole Shem. I hope that you,  Jeddy na Watoto overcome the trauma
of this harrowing episode.

Waudo
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:21:52 -0700 (PDT), "Shem Ochuodho" <shemochuodho at y
ahoo.com> said:

  Did I see a posting in this space talking of: 'gagging the media,
  threatening, maiming or killing'?

  Last night we had a 30-minute harrowing ordeal. Suspected thieves
  broke into our compound, tried to break into our house but were
  repelled by a combination of good neighbours, police and security
  guards. I would want to treat it as a normal insecurity
  incidence, unrelated to the concerns above that have been flying
  in this space. It is interesting, however, why pick on our house,
  amidst (and in between) several!

  At another level, there are a host of fundamental things that we
  have to address as a nation if we have to avoid being a failed
  state, and one of them is insecurity. Of the nearly 40 Africa's
  capital cities I have had the privilege to stay in, Kigali is
  probably the safest. In fact, contrary to the outside perception
  of the genocide, insecurity, etc, Kigali could well be one of
  the safest cities on earth. Addis isn't any much worse! If
  Nairobi/Kenya is to reclaim its glory, security has to be
  restored, along with the other fundamental 'go wrongs'.

  I pray that no one else - both on and off these lists - go
  through that kind of trauma.

  Best rgrds,

  Shem
People make a plan work, a plan alone seldom makes people work (Confucius).