[kictanet] New DG

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:54:32 EAT 2008

In Nigeria the DG was on "acting" basis for 9 years, not sure if he has been
confirmed yet = Capture
Can't say much about Ivory Coast - but reading from frequency of political
instability/foreign interference .... you get my point.

At the moment all matters regarding communication sector in South Africa are
driven by the Minister/Ministry - ICASA needs a sign off by the minister on
everything, including issuing licenses = capture

Brian

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Eric M. K Osiakwan <
emko at internetresearch.com.gh> wrote:

> Brian, not to belittle your point but Nigeria, Ivory Coast etc are some
> leading examples also and it is clear in their leadership in the ICT sector.
> Actually a recent study by Research Africa looking at 16 African countries
> towards an ICT e-Index (
> http://www.researchictafrica.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=555)
> had only Nigeria and Ivory scoring positive efficiency with Iory Coast
> leading Nigeria.
>
> Well, someone would say ICASA is not as independent but South Africa has
> some of the highest penetration and outcomes in ICT? Some Africa was one of
> the most inefficient in the final outcomes.
>
> Eric here
>

> On 28 Jul 2008, at 14:54, Brian Longwe wrote:
>
> Bw Wafula,
>
> I can assure you - after many years of working with regulators and
> operators across all of Africa Kenya has the most independent, proffesional
> and focused regulatory authority.
>
> Take a look at South Africa - capture - spells out what ICASA has been
> under since inception
>
> What country can you point to that has the levels of independence and
> autonomy that CCK has.
>
> Brian
>
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:15 AM, joseph wafula <muliaro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I congratulate Mr Njoroge for the appointment as DG for CCK, however I
>> still find the criteria used weak if what was in last Saturday Nation
>> newspaper was part of the criteria. What is clear is that we are far from
>> expecting CCK to meet WTO expectation of an independent regulator. CCK is
>> strongly under what I term "political capture".  The issue of salary one
>> earns as a prerequisite for short-listing for the post makes it even worse
>> in my view. What is the future for such criteria in the eyes of all
>> stakeholders particularly those in private sector, Foregn Direct Investors
>> etc? the question is, how can such officer be free from government influence
>> and special interest? Perhaps the criteria of appointment need to be revised
>> to give an independent outfit and sectoral professionalsm to CCK DG
>> position.
>>

>> Dr Muliaro Wafula
>>
>> Lecturer JKUAT & Director
>>
>> Kenya E-governance and E-Content Backbone

>>> 2.      Association presentations
>>> 3.      General Discussion
>>> 4.      Way forward
>>>
>>> I would add - 3.5. How to Organise the different Associations for
>>> effective engagement with Govt.
>>>
>>> walu.
>>> nb: meanwhile, unconfirmed reports from my moles indicate that a new DG
>>> for CCK has been unveiled. Anybody with such a copy?

>> --
>> Made in Kenya Network
>>
>> P. O. Box 72031 - 00200
>> Nairobi. Kenya
>> Tel: +254-20-3590451
>> Cel: +254-722-811171
>> Cel: +254-735-370840
>> <http://www.madeinkenya.org/>www.madeinkenya.org
>>
>> <http://www.bungesms.com/>www.bungesms.com
>>
>> <http://www.pamonet.org/>www.pamonet.org
>>
>> People make a plan work, a plan alone seldom makes people work (Confucius).

> Brian Munyao Longwe
> e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
> cell: + 254 722 518 744
> blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com