[kictanet] Discipline & Ethics - Re: Legislation and Regulation fore-Commerce in Ken

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:39:17 EAT 2008

Joe,

Had these rules been implemented, today we might be in a position to call
Kenya "economically sovereign" but that is far from reality and unless
corrective measures are undertaken rather quickly it will be too late unless
the government of the day turns radical and resorts to nationalising private
entities the Hugo Chavez way. However that is a mirage on the horizon, as
any such attempts would likely to lead to expropriation claims in
international world courts, pariah status and we would be headed the
Zimbabwean way where having seven figures in one's
bank account would qualify one as a poor millionaire.

Friends of Kenya are most welcome to give their input and offer expertise,
however, policy making ought to be led and controlled by Kenyans. Policy
makers and decision makers will hopefully grasp the urgency of the need to
ensure that the country's economic independence and national security is not
threatened by abdicating their core duties to formulate policy that will
result in greater Kenyan ownership and control of the key sectors of the
economy. If it takes legislation to mandate a shift in shareholding over
time eg the South African economic empowerment way, it would be worth the
time, consideration and study. As you correctly point out, the US, Canada,
China, Libya and many more around the world would never allow foreigners
directly or indirectly by proxy to define public policy, to do so would be
to deliberately disown the nation's sovereignity.

Mike