[kictanet] Discipline & Ethics - Re: Legislation and Regulationfore-Commerce in Ken

Joseph Manthi jmanthi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:08:27 EAT 2008

Al:
It is this kind of argument that is making it hard for us to get into grips
with our own development. Why is it that we can not protect ours without us
being considered racist or xenophobic? Is India and China considered any of
this when they demand that no company that can operate in these countries
without local ownership? What about S Africa? Remember EASSY?

Joe

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM, <alkags at alkags.com> wrote:

> My thoughts are yet to organise themselves adequately in my head to comment
> on this issue, however it occurs to me that the argument that you advance
> Mike may inadvertently be 'an eye for an eye' sort of argument.
>
> India and the US for example can do perfectly well without investment from
> Kenya or Africa. in fact, i am led to wonder what the state of affairs is
> with regard to FDI inflows. How much of the FDI inflows in the US originate
> from Africa? And in Kenya, how much of the FDI inflows originate from Kenya?
>
> The social argument you advance in general (while taking exception to the
> racial slurs) is generally sound but does it make sense to the extent that
> it will put Ugali in Wanjiku's mouth (the business argument)?
>
> Zimbabwe tried to be protectionist. Outside of the external factors that
> have surely contributed to the hyper-inflation there, it occurs to me that
> the land he acquired was redistributed among his cronies and within a month
> (i was there), erstwhile lush fields of tobacco lay frigid. I wonder if
> protectionist policies would enhance our global competitiveness as a country
> in the larger scheme of things?
>
> or is it the hard work that people are putting into the development of the
> industry.
>
> Back to Marcel and Kevit, who have been unfortunately dragged into this. i
> have seen them putting in long, hard hours of work for the industry - on the
> ecommerce policy, for example. I wonder if it is fair to villify such
> efforts and what it says about ourselves?
> Sent from my BlackBerry(R) smartphone provided by Celtel Kenya

Joseph Manthi
CEO
MEO Ltd
http://www.meoltd.com