[kictanet] Discipline & Ethics - Re: Legislation and Regulation fore-Commerce in Keny

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 13:09:23 EAT 2008

In only 100 words, let me say that something is giving in here. There is
clearly inability by the various 'centers' in providing leadership...which
is worrisome because if we 'IT Experts' cannot handle ourselves with
decorum, then how can you convince your cousin in the village not to go and
kill the other tribesman??

If I recall clearly, some months ago, the Computer Society (Read Waudo) had
the Vice President preside over the awards occasion...and...around the same
time, the engineering exhibition (Read..Kevit) also had some high level
attendees. In other words, what am saying is that I saw synergy at its best
and clearly none had advantage over the other. Competition and anonymous
entities breed healthy working niches.

In my honest opinion, and specifically referring to Waudo, it is pessimistic
when finally the genie grants you a wish, you ask the genie to kill your
neighbours 98 cows so that you can both have two cows each. I think, your
deliberate attempt to '%$£"$£' KIF is myopic. Ask the genie to grant you 98
cows not to kill your neighbours 98 of them.

As a conclusion, I must admit that I have never received an email (and I
read all my email, including spam) calling me for an AGM/election of any of
these organisations...KIF, KICTANET, Consumer Organisation (Alex) and CSK. I
have attended sessions in all and some have not held elections in more than
ten years. Apparently election fever does not only eat our politicians. Last
time I checked, Alice was coordinating Kictanet and yesterday I learnt that
there is also a chairman. Some expert also came to my office last year to
discuss these structures in Kictanet and nothing ever materialised.

In the final analysis, this means that anyone can take advantage of a
society that is crippled by bad governance. ICT industry reeks of it. It
begins by electing officials acceptable to the players. Who is ready to
offer the much needed leadership???

--
Bildad Kagai
MD - MediaCorp Limited