[kictanet] Legislation and Regulation for e-Commerce in Kenya

Josiah Mugambi jmugambi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:04:33 EAT 2008

Hi,

It was fun, being part of the team that organised the Barcamp last month.
(Now if only we could do that full time ;) )
It surpassed most people's expectations, and I'm just wondering how big next
year might get to be.

Scaling up is something we're not sure about yet. It really should be more
of *scaling out*. Getting techie communities out there and helping them
interact locally.. not just Nairobi but in each part of the country, help
solve problems affecting their various local communities, while making a
living. (I think business should be created around ideas that solve people's
problems innovatively and affordably). So the less Nairobi-Centric
skunkworks is, the better in the long term.

The community has grown to such extent that really its beyond Riyaz or
myself or any of the other so-called organisers :). Perhaps what has helped
skunkworks attract  what is more or less the ICT techie community is its
informal nature. Anyone can organise activities really. In addition, simple
interactions on the mailing list (and on the regular Tuesday meetups) have
seen guys take 'bold new steps' - some of the discussions are really
interesting (some people are now trying to figure out how to crack prepaid
card codes). The challenge now is for discussions to translate into action -
real life applications etc.

Some of the ideas that have come up include doing school (high school,
college & university) visits, doing geek-corp style community activities,
getting together and setting up cheap hosting for people to develop local
applications.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM, kevit desai <kevit at centurionsystemsltd.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>  I agree with you that the Barcamp was a great achievement. We do need to
> do
> a lot more to congratulate Skunkworks. May be Riaz can tell us how we can
> scale things up? Innovation is a national theme. And so many people are now
> involved.
>
> Kevit

Fred Allen  - "Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."