[kictanet] Flipping over Flip

Brian Munyao Longwe brian at caret.net
Tue Jul 8 09:18:17 EAT 2008

Flipping over Flip

http://mashilingi.blogspot.com/2008/07/flipping-over-flip.html

Yesterday I came across the most amazing piece of technology that I
have seen in recent days.

Gregg Zachary was just back in Nairobi enroute to his home in the USA
and I managed to catch him for a couple of hours of talk. During this
he showed me some videos he had taken in Zambia and Uganda and said
that he had used his "Flip camera". I was like, "what? Flip?" and he
said "I'll show you."

When I saw the device I almost fell over. Barely the size of a
cigarette pack, this modern day wonder allows the recording of up to
1 hour of video, stores in in .avi format (YouTube Ready!) on an
internal solid state (Flash) disk and uses simple, everyday AA
batteries. Wow! The most amazing part of all was the price. Gregg
bought his off-the-shelf in the USA before coming out on this trip
for $125 (Kshs. 8,000).

This amazing little piece of technology has a built-in USB-flash
dongle, which allows you to hook it up to your computer - and the
software for transferring, editing and managing video is right on the
stick! Wacha nikuambie!!!! I believe that this gadget and others like
it is probably going to have a similar impact on the videocam
industry as cellphones had in the telecoms industry.

According to Business Week and the New York Times Pure Digital, the
startup company behind the Flip cam was able to achieve 20% market
share in the US videocam industry within less than 1 year.

My head has been spinning with ideas on how this kind of device can
contribute towards the development of local, African content.

Boy o boy am I excited. I want to try and put several of these into
the hands of people all over Kenya and see what happens....

[Brian blogs at http://mashilingi.blogspot.com and http://
zinjlog.blogspot.com]