[kictanet] eBay hit with £30m fine for sales of fake luxuries

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 12:17:17 EAT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>

> So, I still come back to my earlier point. If I want to
> sell my Toyota
> AE-100 - I have a right to 'identify' it using the
> brand (though the
> brand does not in itself belong to me) - but I have a
> 'transient'
> ownership as far as it relates to 'my' toyota.
> People even refer to it
> as Bryo's toyota. Of course once it is sold, it now
> belongs to someone
> else.

July 7, 2008. Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates Say

By Dugie Standeford for Intellectual Property Watch MANCHESTER, UK - The basic framework of the intellectual property (IP) regime aims to “close down access to knowledge” rather than allowing its dissemination, Professor Joseph Stiglitz said at a 5 July lecture on “Who Owns Science?” Stiglitz, a 2001 Nobel Laureate in Economics, and Professor John Sulston, a 2002 Nobel Laureate in Physiology/Medicine, launched Manchester University’s new Institute for Science, Ethics and Innovation. Both were highly critical of today’s patent system, saying it stifles science and innovation.

Link to the article: <http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129>