[kictanet] Day 1 of 5 - Challenges Posed by Post-ElectionViolence on ICT Organisations

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 17:12:01 EAT 2008

Ok, I was silent because Brain Longwe had earlier
asked that the list be what it was meant to be. Since
that position has changed, I want to start with
"funny" joke. We have a saying in this regard.

Have you been one of those who have tried or struggled
to guess the tribe of the person sending emails to
mailing lists? Please own up:) Last week we considered
assessing the psychological consequences the crisis
was having on consumers with regard to email and blogs
posts.

It turned out that some tried to "align" their views
on e-mail senders whom they perceived (or imagined?)
to be of the same or "friendly" tribes. Our
conclusion, listers were not tribal, yet the stress,
politics and media had forced them to seek tribal
alignments. We were happy to discover that.

Next we discussed tensions at workplace Telkom Kenya
being our sample. We learnt how badly it had divided
staff there. We overheard employee conversations! We
wished companies would hold extra parties to lessen
tensions at work. I have just noticed a ke-users
lister has posted a very positive message. Their HR
department  today held an organisation-wide
counselling session. That was excellent. All companies
should start similar  initiatives. Thanks Saidimu!

Terrible for us because when we engaging Telcos and
ISPs we never ask for okuyu, jang or kale etc tariffs
or quality of service standards. Our engagement covers
coast to lake, Turkana to Namanga, Garissa to Busia.

At such moments, Information and Communications
Consumer protection is more than ever necessary. We
are battling rights of the people know on one hand, on
the other we are urging responsibility to accompany
freedom of expression, fighting against ban on live
broadcasts    also aware of the dangers of misuse,
against sms sniffing very aware of misinformation
dangers.

We noted and appreciated the media's own intervention
early and responsibility but also appreciate the role
of government to protect everyone.

This thread is on the challenges hence I stop there
for now to hear others' lest I be accused of
monopolising on opinion. I will be back;)

Regards,

Alex