[kictanet] Safaricom expresses concern over inflammatory SMS

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:51:30 EAT 2008

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=47669

Safaricom expresses concern over inflammatory SMS
Written By:Rose Kamau, Posted: Sat, Jan 19, 2008

Safaricom has expressed concern over the content of inflammatory text
messages being sent around vilifying the company and urging members of the
public to shun its services in the name of propagating mass action.

In a statement, the company asserts its commitment to the welfare of all
Kenyans.

The company says it has a staff of over 1,400 Kenyans, in addition to dealer
network of 400 dealers employing over 2,500 Kenyans, and indirectly over
25,000 people across the country.

"Safaricom currently has over 9.3 million Kenyans subscribers and we know
that in one way or another, Safaricom plays a part in Kenya's day to day
life, "the company says.

The company further says it has contributed to the creation of a sustainable
environment by promoting dialogue with its stakeholders countrywide and
assisting local communities, through its CSR programs through the Safaricom
Foundation.

"Having allocated more than Ksh100 million over the past year alone, on
projects ranging from education, health, community development, environment,
Arts, and culture, sports and disaster funding, Safaricom has and will
continue to positively impact hundreds of thousands of Kenyans, " the
company says.

The company calls for the current crisis to be resolved peacefully soon to
avert further loss of lives destruction of property.

"We are also committed to alleviating the suffering being experienced by the
many Kenyans who have lost their loved ones, livelihoods and homes. It is in
this respect that together with our partners Safaricom Foundation and
Vodafone Foundation, we have donated Kshs 15 million to the Kenya Red Cross
Society towards post-election emergency relief services ".

"We have also launched three methods through which members of the public can
assist their fellow Kenyans by donating money either by sending funds
through Sambaza to line 0721 100 000, by sending a peace message to the
short code 767 where each message is charged at Kshs 20, or by sending any
amount up to Kshs 35,000 via M-Pesa to account number 10000", the company
says.