[kictanet] East Africa: M-Net commissions Kenya’s Big Ideas Entertainment to make first East African drama (something to celebrate)

alice alice at apc.org
Thu Jan 10 22:48:16 EAT 2008

        Congratulations Big Ideas...Kenya continues to make
        waves...positive waves....

        East Africa: M-Net commissions Kenya’s Big Ideas Entertainment
        to make first East African drama

In its second major announcement in a week, M-Net confirmed its
partnership with Big Ideas Entertainment, the Kenyan TV company which
has been commissioned to produce M-Net’s first ever East-African drama
series.

Breaking the news of the Big Ideas appointment, just 5 months after
M-Net first revealed its intention to create a regionalized drama
series, was M-Net’s Director of Operations for sub-Saharan Africa Joseph
Hundah.

''I say this frequently because it’s true. M-Net is determined to
continue to pioneer new African content. We very definitely will meet
the needs of audiences in this market to see their own stories on our
screens. M-Net will continue creating strong programs that enable
MultiChoice Africa to provide the best local content value to DStv
viewers.''

He went on to say, ''From the moment M-Net began calling for series
proposals on June 4, we started receiving creative ideas. It was a long
process of evaluation before we made our final decision. In Big Ideas
Entertainment, we have an ally who shares our vision and aims to deliver
viewing which East African audiences can relate to and enjoy.''

The process of selection was a rigorous one and began immediately after
the deadline for entries closed in August.

All proposals received were evaluated critically by a team of four
experts including M-Net Program Manager for East Africa Wangeci Murage
and Kenya’s Catholic University lecturer of literature, theatre and
drama Simon Peter.

Thereafter a key M-Net panel also deliberated over the proposals and the
evaluations before short-listing six companies for the pitching round.
These pitching sessions where held early in October in Nairobi and it
was here that Big Ideas Entertainment put forward their winning pitch.

Telling stories of love, hope, triumph and tragedy, their series follows
three couples as they juggle the demands of work, marriage and family.

Set against a contemporary East African backdrop, reflecting the
societies in which they live and the challenges which they share, the
three couples are at the heart of this entertaining, inspirational,
realistic look at modern life in Africa today. Now in pre-production and
with its name still be finalized, the series is set to make M-Net
history, drawing actors from Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda and using local
crew.

The Big Ideas Entertainment team of Njoki Muhoho (Executive Producer),
Willie Owusu (DOP) and Aleks Kamau (Editor) will helm the show with
Serah Mwihaki on the writing staff. Also playing a vital role on the
show is company director Angelo Kinyua, the CNN Multichoice African
Journalist 2005 winner, who takes on the role as the show’s Line
Producer. Filming on the 13-part, 48-minute weekly series will begin
early in 2008 and DStv audiences will be able to watch the show on M-Net
later in the year.

        Angola: Angolan actors in crime film 'killed by police'

The director of an Angolan crime film says police have shot dead two of
his actors after mistaking them for real armed robbers. The duo were
carrying unloaded firearms as they filmed a scene in a rough suburb of
the capital Luanda, director Radical Ribeiro told AFP news agency.  He
said police roared up to the set and began shooting at close range.

Angolan officials have not commented on the incident. Ribeiro says he
had permission to film in the area. Ribeiro told AFP that police arrived
at the scene in a pick-up truck and "started shooting at everybody at
close range".  He was "stunned" when he saw the two actors fall down, he
added.  "They went on shooting until I shouted out: 'Please don't shoot,
this is a movie.'"

The officers then stopped firing and left without attending to the
wounded, who were taken to hospital, Ribeiro said.
(BBC, 18th December 2007)

        Senegal: The Shape of Water

The Shape of Water is a new feature documentary that tells the stories
of powerful, imaginative and visionary women confronting the destructive
development of the Third World with new cultures and a passion for
change. The film takes us to Senegal, Israel/Palestine, Brazil, and
India where these new cultures (alongside old traditions) include a
campaign to end female genital cutting (FGC), offer innovative forms of
opposition to the Israeli occupation of Palestine, and show how women
are spearheading the implementation of renewable resources and
rainforest preservation by tapping trees to obtain rubber.

The Shape of Water also includes coverage of a vast co-operative of
rural women in India (SEWA) and, in the foothills of the Himalayas, to a
farm, Navdanya, set up to preserve biodiversity and women’s role as seed
keepers. By interweaving images, words, and the actions of Khady,
Bilkusben, Oraiza, Dona Antonia, and Gila, The Shape of Water offers
fresh insights into the lives of women in the Third World.