[kictanet] Fibre Optic Cables

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Sun Feb 17 10:18:12 EAT 2008

On 14 Feb 2008, at 22:07, Michuki Mwangi wrote:

> I think i missed your response following that someone did turn the
> thread into a different discussion item all together. Nonetheless, my
> initial response was in appreciation that we only stand to benefit if
> the big guns host locally.
I agree but i also indicted that our long term plan should be to have
our own in addition to them hosting locally.

> Lets face it; we are late entrants into the "content" arena. Apple,
> Microsoft, Norton et al are less likely to give their content business
> (in the immediate future) to an African based CDN. There's however a
> more likelihood that they can pay for Akamai & others to bring their
> content closer to their clients in Africa.
Principle; the last can be first and the first can be last. Example:
India is leading the software revolution today but they were not the
first.
Advise; Africa can focus on content and build it up to become "primus
inta paris". Actually a good academic professor friend of mine with
whom i disagree on a lot of things , do gree with me that content is
the only frontier that Africa can have leverage in the knowledge era
so we should focus on cultivating same. Another buddy argues that
"wireless: is it, however the sum total is that you need content to
run through the wireless and wireline creations in the long term.

> On the other hand, Akamai is less likely to be attracted to
> Nationmedia.com etc but an African CDN will most likely eyeball on
> such
> clientel. Therefore there's an untapped opportunity for hosting of
> local
> content (as it develops) and thats where our big guns will rise from.
While i agree with you startegically, allow me to present the case of
producing and hosting our own content internally. My emphasis is on
growing a content producing and hosting industry.

>> Dont forget the real winners in the knowledge era are those who
>> produce their own not use
>> others. So our long term objective should be to have our own
>> alongside others because it is
>> a free market economy.
>>

> This calls for a greater understanding of the "interconnection,
> peering
> and transit" economics and models. This is what significantly
> influences
> where the Akamai's & others setup shop. If you recall the Net-
> Neutrality
> debate which highlighted some of the challenges of these models &
> agreements.
>
> So being a real winner in the knowledge era is producing your own
> content and being able to sell it profitably to a as many consumers as
> "internetly" possible :)
Michuki, you have spoken on this score like 3-wise men and i can't
help but applaud your submission.

Eric here

> Regards,

> mailman/options/kictanet/eric%40afrispa.org

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"