[kictanet] Fibre Optic Cables

MediaSpeak Africa mesafric at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 12:28:53 EAT 2008

I think we are trying to trivialise a very critical aspect of what has
happened to this country. I must stand up to be counted as a media
practitioner and say that YES, the media (they really know it!) stand
accused.

Prior to and after elections, several media houses became blatant in their
bias. In my opinion, some media houses were used to create a situation where
one side was not supposed to lose - with dire consequences for us all if
they did.

In the course of marketing their preferred presidential candidate,
journalists fell into the propaganda trap of the main antagonists. For the
true and ethical professionals, what we saw and read as agenda setting was
simply disgusting! It was really unimaginable that some journalists behaved
like they were aliens and would simply fly into space if this country burned
down - like it so nearly did.

This is really a highly emotive issue but let not us underestimate or insult
the intelligence of Kenyans. We all know that there is a lot of money that
changes hands and big promises given during critical moments like elections.

The Government task force is inevitable but of course with MCK
representatives. Otherwise, in future we could easily have a Rwanda
situation as the media gets bolder and more aggressive with their agenda. We
as the media must realise that irresponsibility will cost us all and denial
is not really a strategy any more.

Stephen Ndegwa

On 13/02/2008, David Aduda <daduda at nation.co.ke> wrote:

>  Dear colleagues,
>
> Having followed the debate on the media audit, I'm convinced there is
> consensus that it's important that we review how the media handled the
> elections, before, during and after. That is perfectly in order. What's
> alarming is the insistence that the government should do it, whereas there
> is an organisation, the Media Council, whose mandate includes checking how
> the media operates with a view to protect the producers and consumers of
> news.We've expressed our views as media practitioners about our disdain
> for a governmental audit and Dr Bitange knows about that. Our suggestion
> remains, let MCK do the audit, otherwise we'll be accused of creating
> institutions just to kill them.
>
> But it must be noted vilifying the media won't do when all of us know
> where the problem lies. It's human to take an easy route out of a crisis.
> The ministry of Information and Communications must not fall into that trap.
>
> Finally, I associate myself with a view expressed earlier by one
> contributor, namely, moderation in this discourse.
>
> David Aduda
> Nation Media Group

Stephen Ndegwa Mwangi
Executive Director