[kictanet] Kenya: The Media is Not Innocent

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 10:31:35 EAT 2008

Dorcas you are right but I also agree with Kanja's
call that we be more thorough on this issue.
Otherwise, a superficial framing of this subject risks
just burying the causes deeper as we re-assume our
"traditional" respective points of views.

I attended the meeting from where this thread was
reported. And, incidentally "summary impressions"
created by the mass media of quite detailed
deliberations was a subject with well researched
"backgrounders" urged. I hope the organisers could
share the entire workshop report when its ready.

To the list perhaps also add;

- What role did various opinion pollsters play? Did
they pour petrol all over Kenya then left? Motives...

- What about new media? (email, attachments, internet,
blogs, sms...)

- What mechanisms exist that integrate info-consumers
opinions? i.e. gauge media houses "one-wayness" vs.
audience/citizens participation in shaping unfolding
political subjects

- Post crisis; what did various media not/do?
- What did we FAIL to do?-individually and
collectively

Regards,

Alex

=== message truncated ===