[kictanet] This Thing Will Not End Well...

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:38:16 EAT 2008

The Zen Master [He of the liver juggling fame] warned that [sic] this thing
[M-PESA] might not end well. One possible reason for this legendary
statement was that he knew, unlike in transport, we do not have an
equivalent of his 'Michuki Rules' in the ICT sector.

In as much as we support the Media fraternity in the concerns they have
about the Communications Bill, they ought to understand that there is a
whole bunch of legislation which sector players have toiled hard to see it
get in to this level of bill making in Kenya.

The Media might have reasonable penetration into the public, but our ICT
technology is un-matched in terms of penetration. With over 6 million
Kenyans directly or indirectly benefiting from money transactions through
their cell phones and well over double this number benefiting  from
communication, it's high time we agreed on this matter.

If President-Elect Obama was in Kictanet, he would remind us of the
bottom-up approach, where we can collect 6 million signatures of 'kawaida'
Kenyans who benefit immensely from services such as M-Pesa to also petition
the President on why he should sign this bill with 'Further Ammendments'.

If we want 'this thing to end well', at least let us get the ICT Bill signed
with a 'Further Ammendment' requesting Parliament to consider the sections
the Media has issues with and ofcourse with our whole hearted support to the
Media.

--
Bildad Kagai
MD - MediaCorp Limited