[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Kenya communications(amendment)Bill: Is media overacting?

Brian Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:33:14 EAT 2008

Mike,

I could not agree with you more. What we are witnessing is rabid calls for
deletion of a legal clause that has been in existence since 1998, and isn't
even part of the proposed amendments - without a proposed alternative.

It is abundantly clear that neither the media practitioners, neither the
civil society pundits or politicos that are baying in the streets have
really taken time to read through any of this legislation, nor consider
suitable alternatives.

I personally think that this episode will serve as a lesson for many -
knee-jerk, reactionary statements that are based on speculation and
hyperbole can only lead to confusion and eventually embarassment.

I give a thumbs up to the likes of K24 who have taken a very neutral stand
and chosen to air both sides of the story and work more towards
enlightenment than further fuel the outright lies and misrepresentation that
our airwaves have been awash with over the past few days.

Brian

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  + 254 722 518 744