[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Kenya communications(amendment)Bill: Is media overacting?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Dec 16 07:16:14 EAT 2008

Dear Linus,
If you do a bit of research on the interaction of government and media,
you will find that there are more violent incidences in countries that
have no clear laws.  As part of reducing these incidences in Kenya, we
came up with a policy and a legal framework on electronic media whose
objective was to introduce regulation.  Regulation per se is not a bad
thing.  I think by now you must have learnt from the American's financial
crisis.  Today's papers have the proposed legal framework and without
mixing issues the proposals did not include the controversial sec. 88.

In this country, we have all sinned when it comes to the subject of
impunity.  When you plan and execute a strategy to black out government
officials from explaining to Kenyans the reasoning behind the bill you are
indeed curtailing freedom of expression through public resources that you
hold.  This is illegal if you read the Media Act.  This is an offence if
you read the licence agreement that all electronic media signed.  Does it
mean that freedom of expression is only for media?

After the dust settles down, you will be proud of this legal framework
because throughout the world, it is only Kenya and Somalia that does not
regulate electronic content.  Please read it then call me to have a cup of
coffee.  I will be highly honoured if you accept my invitation.

Regards

Ndemo.