[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Kenya communications (amendment)Bill: Is media overacting?

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 22:19:01 EAT 2008

David,

What happens if the media campaign succeeds, the bill is not signed and
Parliament fails to override thus killing the bill? Section 88 will remain
where it is and neither the media nor the public will have gained.

The media could gain some traction by objectively covering the bill in its
entirety. The media could do well to inform readers of what's new, what's
positive and what's negative. A well reasoned approach would reveal for
instance concerns revolving around the appointment of officials to the
commission or positives such as the bill's approach to e-crimes. The media's
approach needs to embrace diplomacy and be willing to engage in compromise.
For instance instead of calling for the deletion of section 88, the media
could seek common ground and offer among its alternative suggestions to
deletion, provisions that prevent abuse of section 88.

While the media did not mobilise the masses, the media appears to be engaged
in what could end up inciting those who have already "self mobilised" or are
united as a result of food insecurity and related economic issues. The media
and the public stand to gain nothing by taking advantage to fuel a volatile
situation.

The media already has painted a bad image of itself, through the actions of
a few. It is likely that the chief executives of media establishments could
have sought audience with the President and/or the PM to discuss their
concerns and made more traction in getting the bill sent back to Parliament
than have individuals engage in disruptions and heckling. A rational
approach has a better chance of succeeding than an antagonistic one. The
media hopefully has that in mind as they plan their next move.