[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Kenya communications (amendment) Bill: Is media overacting?

alice alice at apc.org
Sun Dec 14 12:34:34 EAT 2008

Hi Eric and all,

I can relate to some aspects of what you are saying here . As a Kenyan
citizen it’s like being squeezed between a rock and a very very hard
place. The irony of it all is really painful to watch and experience. On
one hand we have members of parliament who have lost and continue to
lose integrity and on the other the media whose role in the post
election conflict leaves one with a horrible taste in the mouth and
sense of foreboding if this bill is thrown out.

What does a Kenyan do when some law makers refuse to pay taxes, are
implicated in post election conflict, in various scandals including the
recent maize meals prizes, etc. What does one do when the same media
that claims to publish/broadcast the truth takes sides in politics with
terrible consequences?

The Kenya communications amendment bill is a good bill that should have
been enacted five years ago and yes indeed there were consultations at
various levels and for a long period of time with various stakeholders.
Further, similar to the Kenya ICT policy 2006, the media did not pay
attention or even bother to be part of the process of developing it
despite the policy window offered and provided for by the government. I
also suspect that they (media) have not really looked/read this bill
carefully, but are forcibly mobilising people and using civil society
voices for their own interest in their attempt to gain public support.
They have not bothered to educate the public on the entire bill; rather
they continue to pick a couple of clauses omitting the important aspects
of this bill.

But on the other hand, and sadly, having observed our MP's conduct you
would be forgiven if you wondered whether they should be making of any
laws, having lost so much credibility.

(Views expressed here are personal and not a reflection of any of the
institutions I am affiliated with)

best

alice