[kictanet] Fwd: ICT Board Strategy a Farce

Brian Munyao Longwe brian at caret.net
Fri Aug 29 13:09:36 EAT 2008

Hi PAtrick,

Very good points raised. I will not try to answer any of them
directly - but will make a few suggestions.

I personally feel that it is quite interesting to note your (and many
others previously) open expression of interest in "getting involved"
- this is excellent!

However, the sad fact is that very often when the rubber hits the
road and people need to selflessly dedicate personal time (almost
always on a voluntary basis) - they simply don't. Some of us (and as
I look around the room at the 12 odd people sitting here) have been
volunteering our time constantly and consistently for many years,
going out of our way, both to find out what is happenning and to
offer our (free time and input) towards helping govt better
understand and work with "stakeholders" in defining the ways of
moving forward. A lot of this has happened through our personal
involvement in organisations such as KICTANET, TESPOK, KENIC, KIF,
KEPSA, EAIA, CSK, etc...

As a result of these largely voluntary participations I think Govt
has realised that there are people who are willing to set aside their
personal and commercial interests and help out of their hearts.

My two pence and probably not very clearly expressed but I hope you
get my point.

For those who *genuinely* want to be of service, there comes a high
price in terms of personal commitment and sometimes it takes years
before one is recognised as being a consistent and reliable resource.

In my personal experience my first major engagement in a national
process was during the drafting, review and enactment of the
Communications Act in 97/98 which I pursued because I had a passion
to see transformation within the industry and genuinely felt that
this was an opportunity - now 10 years later I am the one being
chased by various committees/panels for my input......

Hope this helps,

believed to be clean.