[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

Brian Munyao Longwe brian at caret.net
Wed Aug 27 15:53:09 EAT 2008

Yes, and the entire phenomenon that occurs between ISPs in order to
allow them to announce networks to each other is what is known as
peering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering which is the correct
technical term.

An excerpt from the above:
" Peering requires physical interconnection of the networks, an
exchange of routing information through the Border Gateway Protocol
(BGP) routing protocol and is often accompanied by peering agreements
of varying formality, from "handshake" to thick contracts."

This is what happens at KIXP which I established in 2000 and at
various IXPs
  that I have been training ISPs on and helping various countries
around Africa build for the past 8 years.

Best regards,

Brian