[kictanet] Day 10 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Socio-Cultural Issues

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:03:43 EAT 2008

Mwende,

What I could remember at the top of my head was PEGI....one of my classmates
was working with the organisation...she mentioned that it was in use in
South Africa......it does not seem like a it has any legislative
actions...but I think it something to ride home to...(I hope)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEGI

 Pan-European Game Information (PEGI) age rating system was established in
2003 to help European parents make informed decisions on buying interactive
games. Designed to ensure that minors are not exposed to games that are
unsuitable for their particular age group, the system is supported by the
major console manufacturers, including PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo, as
well as by publishers and developers of interactive games .

Fatma,

Should governance focus on source ie input? Put in mechanisms to trace and
stop, or also in the blocking for the output part? when dealing with areas
that are XXX?

I would really wish to be educated here, by the more knowledgeable persons
in this arena.....but what I can say is...that,when we say 'objectionable
content'...then the question that arises....is 'who is objecting?'.....and I
think that this is where freedom of expression comes in 'let me upload my
thoughts,am expressing myself 'etc...and there is audience to this
content...as negative  or as positive as it may be.

In this case...I may wish to concentrate on the output......  There are
content filters,that one may apply...to home PC's etc... to protect your
children from accessing porn,howtobe a terrorist,howto commit suicide...such
kind of sites.......but with the  3G Mobile Phone...that are getting cheaper
by the day......the filtering may need to be done at a higher level......I
think that ISP's have a very crucial and grand role to play for IG to
succed.

Kind Regards,

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Fatma Bashir <fatma.bashir at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Listerners ,

> 3 things I have learnt about content which I hope can contribute to this
> discussion. Apologies for delay tho
>
> There are three types of content that have emerged in recent times ( could
> be more...)
>

>    1. Dead on delivery - this would in my opinion cover areas such as
>    traditional Radio and TV and during our school days - lectures on BB, as you
>    watch and listen the information 'disappears' unless of course you record it
>    (or get hardcopy notes), which a very small percentage does.
>    2. Delivered and recorded - the same could apply but on the websites
>    now there would be podcasts of the shows or video footage etc. this is where
>    Internet plays a key role?  as it is the medium for storage and delivery,
>    and retrieval on demand.
>    3. pre-Prepared and delivered on demand - this is where there is no
>    live stream or airing of the same and can be a little specific. For example
>    here you could get specific content such as educational materials that are
>    available on search engines or specific websites such as ( re:education
>    again) crocodile clips, plato, business-in-a-box etc. You could also get
>    the porn stuff and other xxx stuff here...
>
> All three areas either need governance or regulatory focus ( which should
> be in the pipeline in some areas)
> I think this is where the IG issues discussions need to also concentrate on
> apologies if you already have. My observation re this discussion is
> that there are two areas - inputs and outputs
>
> at inputs - into the medium called internet- on outputs - when you
> download, watch or listen online.
>
> Should governance focus on source ie input? Put in mechanisms to trace and
> stop, or also in the blocking for the output part? when dealing with areas
> that are XXX?
>
> Lastly, I think we need to widen our discussion beyond our culture, when I
> browse the internet on a search engine I am looking for specific information
> to help my current work task, or understand a medicine I am using or read up
> on an area of interest or about my fave artist/musician...not on a foreign
> for that matter local culture! Specific need puts me on the internet,
> returned value takes me back there again and again.....
>
> The website that better have an attractive display of our culture and
> utamaduni and so on,is the one that is selling Kenya out there to attract
> tourism both local and international....
>
> Having said this I am not against local content at all- I think that
> content is king, but the user is queen, so we have to be providing
> interesting enough material to interest high internet clickers anywhere in
> the world.....and also encourage our own growing internet users to build
> habit of usage, share their own knowhow and knowledge, which follows a cycle
> not to dissimilar to what I descibe above as my own personal use patterns.
>
> As a wrap, many a time when we talk of local content here where we work (
> [...]

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson