[kictanet] Day 7 of 10:-IGF Discussion, Economic Issues

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:43:35 EAT 2008

Mwende,

Sorry for being a day behind - better late than never?

My contribution in e/m-commerce follows.

i) eCommerce in developed economies is hinged on elaborate eLegislation, Regulation and Infrastructure(Certificate Authorities). I think as a country we score zero on all of the above. I really wish I could get a hold of the current ICT bill, those who have seen it claim it covers some of these areas. It is widely acknowledged that developed economies will not extend their digital payment services into our markets without us addressing the above three issues.

ii) mCommerce. I think here we are the leaders - thanks to Safaricom and Zain (formerly Celltel). But these MPesa-related products continue to operate in what Dr. Sihanya, the innovative lawyer and his learned friends would call a legal lacuna. All is good upto when a dispute arises. And with all the raging mobile phone SMS spamming, there will be many disputes arising.

Why cant we formulate the model laws for mobile commerce (MPESA related) and export that at an international level (Oops, I heard somewhere that our good UK partners in Safaricom may have somewhat beaten us to that - at least on the trademark bit, not sure though)

Anyhow, the point is, if we are unable to see the global nature of our local situations, the more we are likely to lose out.

walu.