[kictanet] Day 5 of 10: IG Discussions, Legal Issues

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 00:11:06 EAT 2008

Not a legal opinion: It would be very difficult to apply existing common law
(analogous to jurisprudence) to electronic crimes committed in a new era,
atleast within the local context.

For these reasons it is necessary to define the crimes under distinct and
separate legislation. Due to the borderless nature of the Internet (see
shared link), it is necessary for such legislation to take a broad
approach into account.

For instance there ought to be provisions that allow local authorities to
seek the arrest and extradition of foreign based suspects from other
jurisdictions for electronic crimes committed against citizens or local
infrastructure owned by individuals or entities even though the suspects at
the time of commission of the crime were present in other jurisdictions.

The same provision can allow private parties to pursue civil remedies in a
similar matter and give them the basis where possible to enforce the
judgement in the defendant's jurisdiction.

This for example would close the possible jurisdictional loophole
of individuals crossing borders so as to commit electronic crimes from a
country that lacks electronic crime laws. Current law is ill equipped in
ensuring civil remedies, prosecution or arrest of local or international
cyber criminals, 419ers, lurers of minors, harassers, electronically
transmitted or created threats (threats to a person, threats to
infrastructure by way of viruses, malaware, DoS etc) etc neither is it
likely to be in a position to ensure serious consequences or deterents for
the same or allow for the definition of crimes as distinguished here for an
international gang of culprits:
http://www.secretservice.gov/press/GPA15-08_CyberIndictments_Final.pdf

It was recently reported that a bill or regulations to protect the data of
consumers would be brought about as a means of regulating the CRBs. This
could be model legislation/regulations to adopt to ensure that the public
has a say in the manner in which their private information is used.

At the same time consumers ought to be able to instruct companies with whom
they have business relationships with not to share that same information
with 3rd parties without their prior consent (ie opt-in/out). This is only
effective if there are laws or regulations to provide for consequences when
businesses violate the same.

As CRBs take root, there will be a likelihood that similar bureaus or
entities will eventually start sharing information in real time, for example
an underwriter of an insurance policy might want to check an individual's
claim history across the industry to determine the level of risk the insured
poses in determining policy premiums. Similarly an organization may want to
conduct background checks for prospective employees in privately maintained
electronic databases.

It is important that instead of regulations or laws being formed for sectors
of the economy, that national data privacy laws and regulations be defined
(or ammended) and on that basis refinement of specific regulations/laws
could be made for sectors that require specific data requirements. Such
regulatory foresight can reduce or avert the occurence of issues such as
those seen here:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_31/b4094000643943.htm?campaign_id=rss_null