[kictanet] Day 4 of 10:- IG Discussions, Internet Security.

tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke tyrus at icsit.jkuat.ac.ke
Fri Aug 15 12:22:17 EAT 2008

I totally agree with Mich on this one. Internet security(or insecurity) is
at very best blamed on uneducated users who fall prey of pretty obvious
scams. Social Engineering is what its called and i believe this is even
extended to our offices and workplaces. If you have noticed, most
establishments have taken necessary steps to curb perpetrators by
"installing" necessary security mechanisms and also survenrance cams. Now
what they dont know is that to an educated and sly intruder he will no go
in bradishing a gun or whatever weaponary but will be abit subtle. Actin
like a lost user, confused visitor while all the time the guards assist
him/her into the bellows of the building.

Other techniques like tail-gating through secure entrances have been
witnessed in our offices and this gives a lee way to intruders who may not
be tech-savvy .

In my opinion, i think user-education on the need to identify potential
threats and also how to thwart them is what it takes to take a step
towards securing our Intellectual Property, Data centers etc etc.