[kictanet] Day 4 of 10:- IG Discussions, Internet Security.

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 00:39:12 EAT 2008

Michuki,

I do agree with you,very few onliners, think about security,when they are
online. examples:

1. How many people,do actually read the End User License Agreement on the
websites,especially,when installing softwares? the link below should make a
good read.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/eula.asp

2. Should there be or is there a policy,when  it comes to changing a domain
name?

When one types; www.nationmedia.com you are redirected to
www.nationmedia.co.ke....I check this website everyday....one day it was so
slow loading...then...walaa...its .co.ke....if we dont take the time(maybe I
missed it) to let our users know of the changes....then, what will happen
when when Kenya gets into serious E-commerce? I believe we need to start
now,to build trust online,it may seem like a small thing,but it will go a
long way.

e.g what is the difference between www.safaricom.com and www.safaricom.co.ke
?

I)     The Jurisdiction and Arbitration of eCriminals e.g. How would one
resolve a case where a Kenyan ISP is hosting an eCommerce site that sells
content that is declared illegal in Germany (e.g Hitler's paraphanallia).
 Can/Should the Germans shut down the Kenyan business site?

Well,I think the Yahoo and France on the Nazi case was a great eye opener in
this regard, but what does that mean.......if the Germany decides to filter
ccTLD(.KE)...then all Kenyan businesses loose.....not a very wise option!
the ISP's will have to be responsible for the contents they display??.

Kind Regards,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> Looks like very little response on yesterday's topic...where's Waudo
> formerly WGIG member?  Nway, today's IG theme is the one with the most
> consensus across all stakeholders.  The fact that the internet is becoming a
> place to place to work, live, pray or play is widely acknowledged and hence
> the consensus on the need to protect it.
>
> The global and borderless nature of the Internet means that a secure
> internet needs a concerted global effort as earlier mentioned by Brian.  A
> very secure US-territoial Internet is of no use if for example the
> Africa-territorial Internet is insecure since phising attacks, viruses,
> spam, eFrauds and other destabilizing conditions can be launched from there.
> Spam for example is known to constitute over 60% of email traffic on the
> Internet, which is a fairly significant chunk of Internet Bandwidth and
> Server Processing power going to waste.
>
> The main internet security debate that cross-cuts into legal/social baskets
> often centers around:
> I)      How the Internet Protocol (IP) could be improved so as to
> trace-back the origin of the Spammers, eFraudsters, and other criminals.
>  This may demand implementing IP tools that require all internet services
> (email, dns, web, etc) to be digitally signed - a feature that would come
> with some overheads (Mich could again assist here on which overheads these
> could be)
> II)     The Jurisdiction and Arbitration of eCriminals e.g. How would one
> resolve a case where a Kenyan ISP is hosting an eCommerce site that sells
> content that is declared illegal in Germany (e.g Hitler's paraphanallia).
>  Can/Should the Germans shut down the Kenyan business site?
> III)    The delicate balance between pursing security and respecting
> citizen rights. To what extent should governments go into private emails,
> phone-logs, etc, in order to safeguard national security? Or what should be
> the mandatory procedures required of Businesses to safeguard sensitive
> electronic data of citizens?
>
> Plse feel free to add, clarify, object or modify the above.  More
> importantly think of what would be an E.African position on the issues.
>
> As usual, 1day on this theme.
>
> walu.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson