[kictanet] Day 3 of 10:-IGF Discussions, Internet Interconnection Charges

Harry Hare harry at africanedevelopment.org
Wed Aug 13 21:36:52 EAT 2008

Dear Mwende and Walu,

This is an interesting discourse and would like to throw another twist to
it. How necessary is international bandwidth to us? Suppose we had our
content issues in order and have our own facebook, yahoo, msn, skype etc
would it be necessary to buy international bandwidth? In other words can we
create our own local internet? Should we put policies in place that
encourage "inward bound" internet traffic that will utilize local
infrastructure and bandwidth as opposed to "outword bound" that is dependent
on international links?

Kindest Regards

Harry