[kictanet] Day 1 0f 10:-Internet Governance Discussions, Introductory Theme

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:31:05 EAT 2008

Hi All,

The internet has become an essential instrument of today's
society......however,its potential is far greater than what we have
seen.....As Michuki,puts it...we are yet to see the best and worst of
it...in this regard, its governance...seeks a lot of creativity....(We cant
afford to go the traditional way,of setting 3-5year policies)etc..

what we have to bear in mind...its boderless and still evolving....

Curiosity: What would 'Internet governance' be in Swahili?

Utawalaji wa interneti?

Kind Regards,

NB:
Mwende,I love your disclaimer :-)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Barnabas K. Sang <bksang at education.go.ke>wrote:

>  Thanks Brian and Many contributors on Internet Governance Subject and
> Discussions thereafter.
>
> More challenging is the development of policies and guidelines which could
> be adopted in the various sectors / sub-sectors in order for us as a country
> to have sound IG.
>
> More recently, in Education Sector for example, Technology (Particularly
> Internet - Social Networks) blame was featured in some media, to be possible
> cause for the youth stir-up in Secondary Schools. I think as Walu and most
> of us contribute in this worthy discussion at Macro level, lets also think
> of Micro-level as well. Before a National Policy is in place, proposals need
> to be put forth for specific sectors to move on develop into guidelines and
> standards.
>
> Recently, UNESCO's ICT Division organized a conference to discuss ICT
> ethics and morals and indeed Internet Governance (Globe perspective) became
> one of the critical aspects to be focused by a group of experts as a matter
> of priority, since more schools and education institutions are really
> connecting to Internet or pushing for having the faclity.
>
> Kind regards
>
> BKS

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson