[kictanet] computers and problems.

wesley kiriinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:37:34 EAT 2008

ICT/IT basically comes down to the machines. My point was that the idea that computers can solve our problems may be the wrong approach.

I see in the list stuff like digital villages and they are meant to enhance the livelihood of people living in rural areas. The idea of putting computers there is awesome but what solution are these computers helping to enhance i.e. the computers, in themselves, aren't the solution but this is the image that seems to be marketed generally about IT solutions and not the idea that "here is your solution and here is the computer to enhace the solution".

Another example, education. The image given to many of those primary school kids about computers is that they are like the ultimate solution to our problems.

8~)