[kictanet] Online Discussions:-Internet Governance, Mon 11th Aug-Fri 22nd Aug 2008

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 15:03:43 EAT 2008

Hey All,

Its about time we embarked on one of the scheduled discussions. I am pleased to announce that from next week we shall kick-off the discussion on Internet Governance (IG).  This time around, leading contributors shall be nominated to attend the 1st Regional East African, IG Workshop to be announced soon after the discussions.

The Objectives and Program outlines are presented below for your preparations and planning.

Online Deliberations:-Internet Governance (IG)

The Objectives of the Online Deliberation will include:
*To Raise Awareness of Internet Governances (IG) Issues
*To Establish which IG issues are relevant to Kenyans(E.Africans)
*To Build consensus and positions on the relevant IG issues

The General Program outline is given below (10Days, 2Weeks)

*General Background & Rationale of IG (1Day)
-History
-Why IG
-Current Status

*The Infrastructure issues of IG (3Days)
-IP Addresses/DNS (Who Assigns, Allocates & Manages?)
-Internet Interconnection Tariffs (who pays for internet Interconnection?)
-Internet Security (Who controls Spam, encryption etc)

*The Legal issues of IG (2Days)
-Jurisdiction & Arbitration (who resolves e-disputes)
-Copyright & IPR (are they pro or anti-development?)
-Privacy and Data Protection (how is the e-Citizens data abused/protected?)

*The Economic Issues of IG (2Days)
-eCommerce (Taxation and international legislation)
-Consumer Protection (who protects the eBuyer?)
-ePayments (what are the existing forms of ePayments?)

*The Socio-Cultural Issues of IG (2Days)
-Content Control vs Freedom of Expression
-Multi-lingual Challenges (is the Internet English?)
-eLearning (are we losing our culture?)

*Closure & Way Forward (1Day)