[kictanet] ICT/BPO Marketing Strategy

Lucy M lmwatibo.ktd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:34:45 EAT 2008

I am talking from a private sector point of view, I am an industry player
and running a call center.

Now in regards to marketing Kenya as a BPO destination, I would say not much
has been done at all.

Many call centers and BPO have shut down as a result of high bandwidth costs
and poor marketing. I would expect the BPO industry to be taken more
seriously it being one of the 5 pillars of the VISION 2030. If we dont start
marketing now, when will we ever market the country as an outsourcing
destination with such giant competitors as India and those mentioned by
Wambui? At this slow pace I dont think this industry will last long.

Serious marketing has to be done! Marketing is the main thing that should be
done to bring Kenya to the limelight and great support is needed from the
government in ensuring this is done. Without bias and prejudice, we thank
the Kenya BPO & Contact Center Society which has been doing alot to
sensitive people on the BPO & Contact Center industry as well as speak out
the needs of the private sector in the industry. They recently launched the
Standards & Ethics guidelines for the industry. Now this is something we can
say is a step forward. Am sure with more support alot will be achieved to
help bring the industry to life in Kenya.

Like for instance there is the UK Birmingham Expo taking place in September
2008 there was even a media briefing by ICT BOard on it. This is the world's
largest call center expo which is held annually and it particularly targets
the Call Center/Contact Center industry. So I would expect the government to
totally support local call centers to participate fully at such an event. As
it is now, call centers are struggling hard to sustain themselves and most
have even shut down. The few existing are still hanging in there struggling
with high bandwidth costs and all. So this is the point the government
should come in and at least sponsor several private sector call centers to
participate at that event. With this high costs of bandwidth and other
running call center expenses, who will be able to fund for themselves to
such events? Very few or none at all will be able to afford attending the
event. So who will be at the Kenyan stand in the UK CALL CENTER expo?
Government officials only???? I wonder.

It is at such events that Kenya will be able to be placed in the map as an
outsourcing destination as with such events comes advertising on the Call
Center Focus Magazine as well as a stand for exhibiting Kenya at the expo.
Private sector industry players will also get an opportunity to be exposed
to the global call center industry and all that comes with it, as well as
meet potential clients which in the long run will enable them to have stable
contracts with which they can be able to sustain their centers.

Please please government give this industry the support it needs and focus
on the marketing aspect of it mostly as this is what will get it on the map.

L.M