[kictanet] Experts: Kenyan businesses unprepared for security attacks

wesley kiriinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 13:12:59 EAT 2008

Some of the best security experts are the hackers and crackers themselves-the certifications (if they have them) aren't the base of their skills. The ability to detect and correct security exploits and security holes is largely a matter of experience and ingenuity. Security exploits and holes can be very many and can cross a wide range of devices (basically anything that can be programmed and can connect to a network is lethal nowadays) e.g. I could write a virus or worm than lies dormant on a host portable device until it's plugged into a computer, the virus then creeps into the systems collecting some few info and it returns into the portable device. This device can be mine or anyone else (which I might have sent via bluetooth), the worm can detect the anti virus in the system and when it was last updated and abort if necessary, This is just a quick thought in my mind and one can easily see how it can become far more complex.

- Someone intruding a system doesn't have to cause damage to it.
- There is a psychology that motivates these people to intrude one system and not another, I hope there is a certification that talks about that. Just because the systems of company X haven't been intruded yet doesn't mean they are secure.
- Intrusion can happen from almost anywhere in the world. Someone can be sitting in the middle of L.Victoria with a nice satelitte connection, do the job, damp the laptop in the lake (, catch some fish) and go home.

I definitely wouldn't compare to a doctor.

waudo siganga <emailsignet at mailcan.com> wrote:          Re: [kictanet] Experts: Kenyan businesses unprepared for security attacks             IT Security can also be enhanced if we promote the idea of IT experts operating in a legal and regulatory environment. An IT Practioners Management Act would go a long way in ensuring acceptable qualifications, licensing, disciplining, continuous professional development (including periodic training in security). When a doctor is to operate on me I expect him to be licenced; I should have the same expectation of an "IT expert" who wants to operate on my company systems/data.
Waudo