[kictanet] Training for Digital Villages Operators

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:52:43 EAT 2008

Choice ought to be considered with the 'seriosity' it deserves. Its like ODM
vs PNU. If you dwell on the pros/cons of FOSS/Proprietary you will be left
jogging on the same spot. To quote Mark Shuttleworth [Founder of
Ubuntu], "Windows
is a very important platform, and our justifiable pride in Linux and the GNU
stack shouldn't blind us to the importance of delivering software that is
widely useful.".

The team at Canonical has come up with this innovation called Windows-native
installer for Ubuntu into 8.04 LTS. What is really classy about it is the
way it uses the Windows Boot Manager sensibly to offer you the Ubuntu
option. If I was a Windows user who was intrigued but nervous about Linux,
this would be a really great way to get a taste of it, at low risk. Being
able to install and uninstall a Linux OS as if it were a Windows
application.

So, at JKUAT e-Government Academy, its no longer about whats cheaper/better,
but when you attend IT courses [including security] there, you get to learn
about the whole lot [Foss and Windows] in one course. What you then decide
to use in your day to day life becomes your CHOICE!!

[Pat on my back] as I acknowledge virtual cheers and ululations from this
list.

Bill