[kictanet] ICT Authority?

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Apr 24 14:26:49 EAT 2008

Alex - actually the KEPSA proposal is not at a stage of detail. I think
the first stage is for all to determine and agree, as KEPSA has done,
that there is a problem of "coordination and coherence" with regard to
ICT and Government. We can use a forum like this one to share
experiences to determine this. For me the reality is that ICT is
cross-cutting and horizontal to the Government structure while most
Ministries appear structured to operate in a vertical format. The
Ministry of trade will tell you that OOXML (and ICT standards in
general) is their baby; so is the yet to be attended to WTO Information
Technology Act; so is signing (WTO) commitments to liberalize ICT
services sector. Finance will claim GITS; Immigration want to
unilaterally control the entry of ICT experts into the country, etc.
There is no-one stop-shop to manage or even act as an interface. In this
connection an ICT Authority is just one proposal but the flesh of it
would have to come from wider consultation and input of all
stakeholders.

Waudo